Skip to main content

Film Review: Finding Dory




The world's favourite forgetful fish has returned into our lives thirteen years after she made her first appearance in Finding Nemo. This lovable blue fish suffers from short term memory loss which has no doubt made you say "aww" in the past but will her disability become her strength in the quest to find her parents? Or will she just forget? To prevent this she enrols her trusty fish friends Nemo and Marlin to help her on her once in a lifetime adventure now she has been able to access some vital memories. But this emotional story really starts when she loses her friends and we witness the quest become so much bigger than originally planned as she hunts for her family and her friends hunt for her. Will they all find each other? Or will Dory forget why she started her pursuit?

Ellen DeGeneres returns to voice Dory in her own personal adventure through the water, with Albert Brooks returning to be her sensible friend Marlin. However the effects of puberty means that the original voice of Nemo, Alexander Gould has now been replaced by 10 year old Hayden Rolence. This adventure is set just a year after the end of Nemo's adventure when Dory realises that she lost her parents not long before helping Marlin to find his son. This film gives us an insight into Dory's previous life before she ended up in the ocean. We meet new characters who featured in Dory's childhood and new characters who help her along the way - I feel like being a fish wouldn't be that bad as a lot of the fish (and fellow sea creatures) are quite friendly and helpful.

Finding Dory is definitely a film that I laughed and cried at as I watched Dory be the best role model a fish could be to children as she never gives up no matter how hard people - well fish - try to tell her it isn't worth it. Her famous line "Just keep swimming" reiterates the importance of not giving up, even when what you're aiming to achieve seems impossible.  I definitely recommend seeing this feel good family film over the summer in order to truly appreciate a great Disney film.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a ...

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,...

Phrases I Hate

Hey Earthlings! We all have those phrases or quotes or sometimes just words that when we hear them it makes our blood boil and our neck do that funny thing where you kind of go "bleurghuohui". You know what I mean? I've taken a few of them, listed them here and told you exactly why I hate them. Let me know if there's some more you hate. "There's someone out there worse off than you" Yes, this may be the case and I hope they come out of their situation feeling all the joys of spring but just because there is someone out there with more issues than you're feeling, it does not mean your experiences and feelings are invalid. If you are trying to comfort someone and make them feel better about their situation in what way is, "ah well don't worry, Tina down the road is way worse off than you are" going to make them feel better? EXACTLY. It won't. End of, let's just entirely blow this phrase away. "Respect your elders"...