Skip to main content

8 Ways to Keep the Kids Entertained





Hello Earthlings,

I decided today to do a post about things to do during the summer holidays that aren't too expensive. I'm not sure if everyone has finished school yet as I know some people have but I am unfortunately still at school so I was just wondering but anyway, these are some good ideas to get up to during the summer holidays.

1. Picnic
Now before you think, "oh well this is an obvious one" let's remember that picnics can be so much fun! You can do some baking before you go so you have some treats to take with you or you can have a themed picnic. Really, the possibilities are endless as there is honestly so many ways to make picnics so fun. Make sure you choose a great location too so you can play hide and seek or something afterwards. 

2. Cinema
All of the little people I know appear to love the cinema and I can't blame them, I mean there's some cracking kids films out there and let's not forget to mention that Friday 29th July is the date that Finding Dory comes out! How exciting? I mean you might not be that excited but I am personally very excited - July is taking so long. Alternatively, if you can't afford the cinema make a mini cinema at home, shut the curtains, make a mini den, get some popcorn and a film obviously and you're well away.

3. Reading Challenge
Reading may not be everyone's cup of tea but I personally think it is quite an important factor in life, so why don't you set a reading challenge for your little human to complete over the summer? You don't have to go to a bookshop and buy all the books, make weekly trips to the library. Libraries are so underappreciated so spend a couple of hours there and help your child to complete their reading challenge - obviously make sure there is a prize at the end, even if it is just a chocolate bar. 

4. Get active!
I know this is a fairly obvious one and I may be starting to sound like a health person or something but it is so easy to just go for a walk - especially if you have a dog. If you want to be more active then that then take some inspiration from the Olympics, after all they only happen once every four years and you may end up having a future Olympian in your company.

5. Museum
...and other cultural stuffs. Anyway, many museums are often free to go in and if they aren't free they only have a little charge and it is worth all of it. They're great for even just a morning out and you can learn so much in such a short space of time and there are often different exhibitions that you can go and see. Museums are especially good on rainy days when you still fancy getting out of the house.

6. Cook/Bake Something
It is no secret that kids love to bake, licking the bowl? Best part of the day. Anyway, let your little humans pick out what they want for tea and some cake or something for afterwards, then let them make a shopping list (you can always sneakily add to it if they miss something) and then you can help them make their tea  of choice. I personally think this is a lovely idea because then your little people can be proud of making their family tea.

7. Go through your old cupboards
Okay this may sound a bit of an odd one but trust me it is such a fun activity. Drag all the tins out of the cupboard and play shops - I can definitely vouch for this activity as I used to play shops at my Nan's all the time in the holidays. Of course, there isn't just tin cupboards you can through as you can play dress up.

8. Treasure Hunt
You can do this inside or outside and either way it is such a simple yet fun challenge, especially if you make little maps or leave clues around the house/garden to lead to the treasure. If you want to make it more exciting, you can make the final prize be a day trip somewhere.

I'm going to leave it there and I hope you all have a very exciting summer with your little people, I hope these tips help you at least a little bit and give you some inspiration.

Until next week,
Lia x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &