Skip to main content

My Days with Daphne, Wanda and Cindy

Hello Earthlings, 

I know, I know, what an odd title. Today I decided to treat you all to an account of my time in hospital - how exciting has my week been? It will soon become very clear as to who Daphne, Wanda and Cindy are but right now I shall babble on a bit. I have decided to write this post to show my understanding of just how hard the NHS work, I have never doubted this for a minute but I have never experienced their care at an age where I remember and now to have experienced this I can truly vouch for the fact that the nurses, doctors, food people, absolutely everyone work so hard. Let's continue to my fun story...

I woke up at 2am on Monday morning and proceeded to have all the symptoms for a common sick-y bug so was fully expecting to be ill for a night, wake up at 7, go back to sleep and then wake up at 11am have some water and rich tea biscuits and bounce back to being the human who doesn't shut up causing my Dad to say "there's nothing wrong with her, she could've gone to school". Trust me, it's the usual routine that happens every single sick-y bug time. This time was different because I was really lethargic all through the day and then at around 4.30pm I suddenly got a pain in my lower stomach on the right hand side. After proceeding to throw up more and the pain increasing my mum made the decision to call the out of hours doctors to see if there was anything seriously wrong with me - of course, ending up with an appointment at 10.20pm when all I really wanted to do was be in bed feeling sorry for myself. The doctor did his usual doctor stuff and after prodding around on my stomach (obviously, in a more medical manner) and me nearly yelping out in pain he decided to send me straight to the hospital with suspected appendicitis. Fun, no?

After arriving and finding out where we had to go, I decided I needed to be sick again. I know it's a common theme but don't worry the sickness ends soon. By this point I was feeling far too sorry for myself to care about the fact that people could probably hear me vomiting. It was a very long night into Tuesday morning, as we waited for the nurse, doctor and registrar to see me. This is exciting part where we get to meet my new friends: Cindy the Cannula, Daphne the Drip and Wanda the Walker. The nurse came and put my cannula in, although my arm decided it did not want to cooperate leaving me bruised and with my left hand good for nothing as I was absolutely terrified of moving in case I yanked the cannula out, and then gave me some fluids on a drip as I was nil by mouth and hung them on my walker. Me being me had to give them a name just to feel better about it all because by this point I was scared, I've never been a big fan of hospitals and everyone seemed confused by what was wrong with me. But in all the confusion the doctor did give me some anti-sickness and I have to say it was marvellous. As appendicitis is such a difficult thing to identify, the doctors didn't just want to send me down to have them taken out without being 100% sure and to make things even more confusing the best scan to identify appendicitis is a CT scan but with me only being 17 they didn't want to expose me to the radiation levels. So, at 3.45am on Tuesday morning the registrar had told us that I had been booked in for an ultra-sound to look around my appendix at 11.30am and that after that we should know how to treat me. The only interesting part to add to this is that at around 5am I woke up startled as one of the nurses had come to disconnect me from my pain relief which had all dripped into me - I woke up in a strange room, a strange bed, with a strange thing in my hand with someone pulling on it.

I'd like us all to take one moment to acknowledge my appreciation for my lovely mum during my time in hospital, she stayed with me until 3.45am on Tuesday and was back in for 8.30am continuing to stay with me throughout the day; providing great entertainment in the form of I Spy, flicking water all over me, putting up with my stupid remixes of songs and changing the lyrics to references about wanting to go home and being there for me throughout the entire process. Appreciation for Mumma G. So Tuesday was the fun day of the scan, if any of you have ever had an ultra-sound scan before you will know that you have to have a full bladder...which I wasn't going to complain about because it meant that I could drink a lot of water in the morning, a luxury which I was missing by this point. This luxury was short-lived as the consultant told me I wasn't allowed to eat or drink after the scan in case it was my appendix causing the problem and I had to go to surgery. Thankfully, this wasn't the case...although Tuesday seemed to take forever, the team had been called into surgery so didn't have chance to go through my scan and look at the issue which I didn't complain about because I knew that there were people in that hospital in a far worse state than I was, even though I was in a considerable amount of pain. The doctors concluded that it would be best to keep me in for one more night and then to have a review in the morning to see if I could go home as they diagnosed me with gastroenteritis (I don't recommend it) so it was best for me to just chill at home. 

The great news being...I could! I came home on the Wednesday and rested for the rest of the week, with a little trip to town to meet Ailish and Emily before they wander off to university, so I could go to work yesterday. Which I could, the downside is though is that me being me just assumed "yeah I'm fine now" which well and truly backfired as I did not feel well at all today. Just my luck.

So if you have stuck with me through all of this ramble then thank you very much. I couldn't be more thankful for all the staff who looked after me when I was well and truly terrified of what was going to happen to me.

I gift you with a picture that made me chuckle, before I was allowed to go home the nurses updated my condition on the whiteboard and described me as "normal" which made me laugh because I have never been described as normal.




But hey ho, until next week,

Lia x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &