Skip to main content

Walking for Mary

Hello Earthlings,

I missed last week and I'm posting late this week, you could say I was a bit of a mess but it is okay I shall agree with you as my mind is currently in a state of "daydream...EXAMS...daydream...EXAMS" so I'm a little bit distracted right now but I do have quite a few posts saved as drafts for me to work on and edit after the 27th June to post. But anyway, I'm writing this post today to give you some little bits of knowledge as to why I'm walking all over cancer in June.

You may have seen an advert on the television or even scrolling through Facebook for the walk all over cancer month by Cancer Research but basically you raise money and walk 10,000 steps a day for the whole month of June. For some people I'm sure they're thinking "no big deal" but for me it is because I probably only reach close to that target when I'm at work, meaning it is definitely going to be a little bit challenging. 

I'm doing it for a few reasons really, one of them being that my exams are in June so I will be especially stressed then so just by having something to take my mind off them at least for a little bit will be a massive help and may prevent me from ultimately finding a big rock to hide under. The fact that it is for a good cause also makes me feel like I am doing something right in the world. Another reason is that I did a list of 18 things to do at 18 when I turned 18, ironically enough *inserts eye roll emoji here* (but hey, read it if you like...here) and raise £100 for charity and I'm so over-whelmed to tell you that I've quite literally smashed my target but I shan't reveal any proper numbers until after I have completed the full month. 

But the main reason is because cancer has really changed my life, not myself personally but I lost my great Nan to bowel cancer on the 10th September 2015 and my world felt like it had completely shattered. 98% of Saturday morning's in my life had been spent going for a cup of tea and a catch up to my Nan's house and I naturally had to have four biscuits and a piece of cake and my fold away table and suddenly all that was taken away from me. I couldn't just nip to see Nan, I couldn't do something and ring her up to let her know, there was just this massive loss in my life. Yes, I miss her everyday and it was definitely so bizarre to go through the first year after we lost her and face all the milestones without her but I know she'd be proud of me and I feel like it is a good thing to try and take something from this loss that could help other people. The only comforting thing that I could take away from losing her was that she was no longer in pain and she could be reunited with my great Grandad who I sadly never got to meet. But from doing this walk I'm being able to raise money on the research of bowel cancer and maybe that will help someone. 

So, this is my walk for Mary and I would be eternally grateful if you decide to sponsor this little lazy blob. I shall leave the link below or if you would prefer I have a sponsorship form. Anything helps!!

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/page/walking-for-mary 

Thank you so much!
Until next week,
Lia x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &