Skip to main content

10 days in Albufeira

Hello Earthlings,

So many people had said that Albufeira is beautiful and that I would love it but I was still a bit wary. We booked to come here last September and I've been so excited about it since so I was a little bit nervous, what if I hated it? But as soon as I was on the coach from the airport I knew I would love it. One of my favourite places was definitely the Old Town but I won't go on about that too much as I'm going to dedicate a whole post to the beauty of it.

We stayed at Monica Isabel Beach Club and I can't fault the place, sure some aspects of the room were a bit run down but it was nothing compared to the terrible hotel Jack and I stayed at in Paris so to me, it was luxury. Being all inclusive I obviously took advantage of the food and I have to say the chocolate chip cookies that were available at breakfast were heavenly and I may be turning into one... There was always fresh fruit available and a variety of Portuguese style dishes with some safety dishes such as chicken nuggets. Free rum and orange cannot be missed out as it is wonderful. The hotel itself it split into the main hotel rooms near the restaurant and what not and then further apartments, we were all in apartments that weren't far away from each other or the main building or the beach. Our room was also coloured a warm orange and I personally loved it. I definitely recommend coming to this hotel, walking distance from the strip and Old Town (or a free shuttle bus) and close to sandy shores...I loved it.

My days were full of general relaxing as the past few months have been hectic with exams so it was nice to sit down and do nothing. Although me being me, had several clumsy incidents and as I'm writing this the night before we fly I'm waiting for disinfectant to soak into my foot as I tripped and cut it earlier.

I surprised myself by swimming in the sea, admittedly using my flip flops as floating devices and then advancing onto a rubber ring, major improvement I know. I could've bobbed up and down on my rubber ring for hours as it was so relaxing but then I got sunburn! Admittedly not as bad as Jack and my cousin Jake but my arms and back were caught and turned a lovely shade of ruby and proceeded to sting for a couple of days. My tip there is to reapply sun cream and then if you burn anyway get some aloe vera gel and whack it in the fridge for a bit.

On this holiday I've also managed to tick another task off my bucket list...seeing dolphins swimming in the wild. Jack and I went out on a speedboat to explore caves and look for dolphins. We didn't take our phones and didn't have any money on us to buy pictures of the dolphins we saw but we saw quite a few. It was amazing and definitely something I'll never forget, although I had convinced myself that I wouldn't be sad if we didn't see them because they were wild and I would much rather not see them than see them in cages. So, I definitely got very lucky but I'm so happy. The caves were amazing as well, we managed to get right in some of them and the shores were so sandy with no pebbles or shale or anything like that and the sea was literally turquoise. Basically, the closest thing I've ever seen to it was on Instagram. It really was a fantastic experience and I would definitely recommend it, we paid  €35 for 2 hours and it was worth every penny (cent, every cent?).



We also managed to see some football whilst we were out here, Sheffield Wednesday had pre-season friendlies so Dad and Jack were very happy and me and Jake tagged along anyway. I enjoyed it, even if the taxi driver did stop to let us out in the middle of a roundabout.

I loved every minute of my trip to Portugal and we made so many amazing memories that will be laughed about for years to come. There's so much more that I could ramble about but I will end by saying I will definitely be back to explore more of this beautiful country. Thank you very much to my wonderful family and boyfriend for making these past 10 days incredible. I'm also aware that this post has literally been the ramblings of a child excited about Christmas but oh well.

Until next time, Lia x



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &