Skip to main content

Dear Past Me



Hello Earthlings,

I know that this is kinda weird for me to write a post to past me because I'm only 18 so I evidently still have a lot of learning to do but I also feel like from when I wrote a Dear Future Self post, which you can read here, I have learnt a lot. This isn't me answering my Dear Future Self blog as that clearly says Dear 21 year old Lia so we are just gonna wing this as it comes. 

Dear Past Lia,

As you sit here now you are still only 18, and you counted down to turning 18 for a very long time. In fact, when you were a lot younger you thought 13 was a really grown up age because you would be a teenager and obviously you would know everything. That is never going to be the case, at 18 you are still getting things wrong. You are also still having very stupid moments but your hair colour has always, and still, been blamed for that, "you can tell it isn't out of a bottle". The most grown up thing you have done since being 18 is going for an appointment at the bank, oh and you've bought screen wash. The novelty of buying alcohol has worn off as you still get asked for ID everywhere because you look about 13 on a good day. But, you're enjoying still being young and being able to make mistakes and you like to think you have your head screwed on pretty well.

I'm not sure how much of a past Lia I'm writing to here but I have a vague idea and I can tell you that everything that is happening right now will not matter in a couple of years time. You will hate yourself for being so naive and not wanting to hurt anyone because at this time you felt like the weight of the world was on your shoulders. But a good thing to come out of this is that you are so much stronger than you were before so in a twisted way you can thank this experience for letting you know that you are never going to have to go through anything like that again because you eventually know your self-worth and you do start sticking up for yourself more. Even though looking back you are pretty lost and not knowing what to do for the best, trust me that it will work out okay. 

You had dreams of becoming a journalist around this age and you had everything set out to how you were going to go about doing this and well done you, you didn't give yourself enough credit. But scrap it all, because you still have a passion for writing and you'll still be rambling about everything to anyone but you don't end up doing a Journalism degree. Instead you opt for Psychology and you go into it with an open mind because although you know you want to do some aspect of psychology as a career, you actually have no idea what that career is going to be. But you're happy, you're happy plodding along and chilling in the library and then coming home and being all cosy. Oh and by this point you have had a job for a year now. 

Aside from all the general adult-y stuff you are doing good. You have accepted that things change a lot and you can't control these changes, you have cut a lot of negativity out of your life and in many ways you feel more like yourself than you probably ever have done so well done you. You're surrounded by the best support network you could ask for and you're starting to realise the kind of person you want to be. Oh and well done you because you now value your own opinion of yourself more than you value other's and I personally think that is pretty fab. 

You haven't got around to doing any form of exercise which isn't surprising as you've lied to yourself for about 3 years saying that you will but you're on your way. You eat healthier now and you enjoy cooking, allowing you to experiment with a variety of foods. But you will be the reason a new oven needs to be  purchased when Yorkshire Pudding goes slightly wrong. 

All in all, 18 and a half year old Lia is proud of how far you've come and is pretty happy. 

Lots of love,
Grown up Lia x 

P.S. I had no idea what sort of picture to use for this post so I'm just gonna do a little picture of me at my secondary school prom followed by me at my sixth form prom, I haven't changed a bit but I may have aged by about 6 months but in my mindset, I have. 

Thank you for reading all this random ramble, I truly appreciate you all. 

Until next week, 
Lia x 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &