Skip to main content

Helping brings happiness

Hey there Earthling cheesecakes,

I sit here and I'm conscious that I have a mountain of uni stuff to read on this reading week and I'm also conscious that I didn't post on my blog last week and although I don't mind missing a week because I'm busy and didn't want to rush a post, I also hate missing a week because I feel like I'm letting myself down. So here I am before I get lost in a book that weights at least 4 stone, posting this weeks update and it's an important one. 

Right now it's the 9th of November and I'm sat here in my room looking out the window to a grey and murky day. It's definitely time for the big coat to come out, and I now have to sit and wait a bit for my windscreen to clear. The festive menus have arrived in Starbucks and I can highly recommend the Fudge Hot Chocolate. The Christmas adverts are starting to come on TV and everywhere is starting to get a bit more magical as the build up to festivities begin. 

Unfortunately this isn't the case for all of us, and I feel like now it is a good time to you of the fact that not everyone has the benefits we do. There are many vulnerable sleepers on our streets and a lot of the time people walk straight past them. Helping the homeless is very close to my heart, I thoroughly believe that we should all have a roof over our heads and a safe place to call our home. I can't give you a clear statistic because we won't ever be able to tell how many people live in insecure accommodation, where they sofa hop or just slum it somewhere. And, you can't be ignorant and turn around and say "well they've probably ended up on streets because of their own doing" because I am 100% sure you would want the help if you ever ended up in that situation. I personally find it appalling that in 2017 we have such an incredible homeless issue, I also find it appalling the attitudes people have towards these people. There are so many reasons that a person can end up homeless, and it isn't our place to judge. At the end of the day, they're still human. 

Now this post is a bit about how you can help, as we approach the season of goodwill please try and do just a little bit. 

In my town there are amazing people who work tirelessly to help the people of Chesterfield, they collect shoe boxes at Christmas, they help people into a B&B and then further, they've helped to set up the Feed a Friend appeal and I personally think they're incredible. These people give me hope that in a world where many are full of their own self-importance, there are still people who want to help others. They do all this through their Facebook page, Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal (which I have linked) and I urge you to help them. Make some shoe boxes, it is a great thing to do as a family and the page provides you with lists of items you can include in a shoe box. Or, donate to the Feed a Friend Appeal at the Lunchbox in town. However, if you aren't from Chesterfield then don't think "oh I can't do anything" try and find a page like this and help too, or if you fail in finding any then set one up yourself. A little bit does a lot. As the song goes, feeeeed the worrrrrlllldddd (or Chesterfield in this case), let them know it's Christmas time! 

A simple way to help make a difference somewhere is by doing the Reverse Advent Calendar, I saw this on the internet and thought it was a really good idea. It's also a great way to help your community and to start a great tradition for your family at Christmas. In the way that opening the Advent Calendar let's you open a door a day and get a chocolate, or even gin I've seen this year, for the reverse advent calendar you put an item of food in a basket or something similar a day and then you can donate it to your local food bank, or alternatively find somewhere that will accept the donations and make good of them. Do this for 25 days or the whole month and you'll get a good  baskets worth ready to help people. Read this list for examples of what to put in a typical food parcel, and if you want to read where the idea came from then read this post from UK Bloggers. Make sure you're early in delivering your boxes though as Christmas Eve is too late. 

This post contains only a couple of ways to help people this Christmas, but please consider doing it. If we all did a little bit then soon we'd have a lot, and I think that's important for us to realise. We are all human, some people believe they are too important to help others and are happy to ignore the problems in our society. Don't be like them, be a friend to those in need. 

I hope I have at least inspired you a little bit to help, 
Until next week,
Lia x 

P.S. I'm also going to leave you with a quote I found on Pinterest (story of my life), as a little bit of food for thought.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,