Skip to main content

Blogmas Day 9: Self Care at Christmas

Hello my lovely Elflings,

Today we focus on...you. Yes, I know that you're probably running around like a headless turkey in preparation for Christmas and probably not really taking time for yourself because "there's no time" (imagined in a mad elongated voice). But sometimes we need to take a step back from the craziness of life and take some time to care for ourselves. It may sound pretty daunting right now, but you are stuck with yourself, so you may as well look after number 1 in the best way you feel fit. 

Self care doesn't have to be something massively expensive. I mean, it can be, you can walk into an expensive shop and have the treat yourself mentality and trust me, I wish I could afford to that as much as I'd like to. But you don't have to spend a lot of money or really any money, self care could be as simple as feeling too stressed to deal with anything so giving yourself five minutes to have a break with a cup of tea, or taking yourself off to bed early to either get a good night's sleep or get lost in a good book. 

Don't let Christmas stress you out, it's a truly magical time that we should all be celebrating and enjoying with our friends and family and spreading goodwill to everyone. Just don't spread yourself too thinly so you snap because you'll probably get trampled on in the Christmas Eve dash to the shops because all the supermarkets shut for approximately 34 days and what if we run out of something in that time?! (Complete sarcasm, it's one day please chill a bit!)

I'll be sure to include three basic methods of self-care right here so you can get started but searching on Pinterest or Twitter etc. will give you lots of hints. 


  • Read a book or watch a film; such a simple thing to do yet we often overlook it. For me reading a book allows me to watch someone else's life and form my own opinions and live their story with them, thus inviting me to escape from reality. I included films because I'm aware some people don't enjoy reading books. 
  • Get a therapeutic colouring book; ahh, I have so many of these and I never seem to find the time to colour in them but I really need to consciously start setting myself some time to actually do this. 
  • Treat yourself. Whether it's too something expensive, whether it's to a new shower gel (I recommend Lush), whether it's to a festive drink from a coffee shop or anything in between. Include yourself in the festive madness.
It is important to remember that someone's self care may be completely different to yours and that is perfectly okay. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same and why should we look after ourselves in the same way as others just to conform? Exactly, we shouldn't so you go be you and have a great time doing it.

OH! Also, don't forget lip balm (I use Vaseline) to protect you from the wintery wind. 

Until tomorrow,
Lia x 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &