Skip to main content

Earthquake: Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal

Hey Earthlings! 

Now before you get on the phone to your Aunt Brenda alarming her that you've seen the words "earthquake" and "Chesterfield" in the same sentence, chill, it is all okay and everything is in fact under control. But welcome, to the new tab on my blog called Earthquake, yes it is a bit of an odd name for a tab on a blog but I shall explain. If you go on Google and search "define earthquake" and click on the link to dictionary.com it will tell you that an earthquake is: a tremor of the surface of the earth, sometimes severe and devastating (then including some science-y stuff). This is where I come in, I have a passion for wanting to help people and try and change someone's world because even if I help one person, I have still helped. In this case, the tremor is me grabbing their little world (metaphorically) and shaking it to have a positive impact. Basically, I want to help other's by acknowledging the work they do and writing a post and giving them a big virtual hug...or something like that. 

When I first had this brainwave/light bulb moment/idea (call it what you will), there was no hesitation in who I was going to contact about the debut post. I have mentioned them previously in other blogs and I definitely think they're local heroes, so for them to agree for a little blogger like me, in terms of audience and height, to ask them a bunch of questions and let me try and write a half decent blog post about them was quite special. In case the title didn't give it away, this post is all about Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal and the lovely ladies behind it. 

If you have never come across Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal before then just a quick scroll through their Facebook page gives you an insight into how passionate the people behind the page are about what they do. With almost 4000 likes, I think it is safe to say that their appeal is increasing with the people of Chesterfield flocking every Christmas to donate masses of shoeboxes to those less fortunate.  It's also important to acknowledge that they don't just help at Christmas, throughout the year they are trying to do their best to help in some way with the help of the people on the page. It definitely has a community feel to it as they can put out a plea to help decorate a flat for someone and a man with a van, or woman with van, pops along and helps strangers. 

On my personal Facebook I have noticed several mixed opinions regarding the amount of homeless people we see on our streets, for one I think it is appalling that it is 2018 and we have such an issue with this but two, I like to try and do my bit to help because whether you like seeing them on the streets or not the truth is these people often have nowhere to go and there's a list of possibilities as to why their life is currently like that and we are in no place to judge. So, all you negative Nancy's (you could be a positive Nancy, in which case I salute you), let us all take a leaf out of Becca and Elaine's books and look at how we can positively help others. 

What initially made you want to help the homeless?
I volunteered for a few years for Church on the Bus in Chesterfield, and gained an insight into what can and needs to be done to help the rough sleepers and vulnerable people in Chesterfield. In 2015, I saw a post on Facebook about about a shoebox appeal starting in Chesterfield and decided I would like to take on the opportunity as I could see what a difference it could make. Elaine volunteered the first year and we joined forces the following year. It's not just a shoebox gift, it's the knowledge that someone out there has thoughtfully put together a gift for you to open at Christmas. Initially, we only appealed for shoeboxes for rough sleepers, elderly and dogs but we now appeal for gifts for children and young care leavers. 



Did you ever expect to achieve as much as you have?
Never did we think it would become as big as it has, the first year we only needed 250 boxes and received over 700, it was amazing. We have made good relations with lots of charities and work with them throughout the year helping them where we can. 
A further note, 2124 boxes were collected in 2016 and 1771 boxes were collected in 2017.

How did the Feed a Friend campaign come about?
In January 2017, I was in town and saw one of the rough sleepers in his regular spot and offered to buy him a hot drink and a sandwich. The Lunchbox Cafe was always a popular choice for the guys as I always asked them where they would like me to purchase food from. On this particular day I went into the Lunchbox Cafe and just decided there and then to ask them if they had ever thought about doing a pay forward scheme for the homeless in Chesterfield. I had an instant positive response and made an appointment to return in a few days to discuss it in further detail, which I did. The scheme was named by The Lunchbox Cafe itself and started on February 13th 2017 after advertising through social media for a week; and getting a good response and generous donations to enable it to start, we have not looked back since. It has been without a doubt hard work to bring awareness and raise the money to keep it going and surviving from one month to the next with no assurances that we will be able to sustain it the following month, but just a couple of weeks away from celebrating it's first anniversary we have enough money in the pot to see it through to late February. 
We have had people come into the lunchbox with money raised from different events and we now have a couple of businesses setting up regular payments to the scheme. 

Is running the page and doing all the stuff you do difficult to run alongside everyday life? Is it worthwhile?
Yes, it can be difficult at times. Very time consuming especially last year during the time getting Feed a Friend campaign established and putting it out there that we want to help people all year round. It can sometimes be hard to get the balance right but very worthwhile. For me, it was when we decorated a flat and the guy who's flat it is isn't good around lots of people and doesn't cope well in situations where there is a lot going on. So I personally didn't expect to see him while we were decorating but he came to the flat and helped despite the chaos around him as there were quite a few volunteers going in there that day. When it got too much for him he just took himself off on a walk then came back and helped again, for me that was more than just helping someone sort their flat out and put furniture in it. 
There has been some low points too but I believe those who want help won't get it if you're not there to offer it, and just because some take it that don't really want it and then let go despite your hard work and efforts, it's worth trying just for the possibility they might be the one that really needs and wants it. 



I hope this has also opened people's eyes to the fact that the Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal isn't run by little elves, these are in fact real people who have other commitments and just want to help make a difference in someone's life. Thank you. I feel like I have learnt a bit more about these lovely ladies and just how much work goes into the Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal, I thank you for letting me interrogate you over messenger and write a post about you.

Writing posts for my new tab "Earthquake" is something I am looking forward to doing each month so if you have a suggestion as to who/what I should focus on next month then please get in touch. I promise I'm friendly! Let's all acknowledge how hard we all work. 

Until we meet again Earthlings,
Lia x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &