Skip to main content

Earthquake: It could be you

Hello Earth bugs, 

We left this month's My Earthquake post right until the very end, but hey it's snowing outside so you can cosy on up and have a cuppa. I do feel like the title sounds a bit like on I'm a Celebrity and telling them who is going to do the Bush Tucker trials, but I assure you I'm not. Let's just crack on, eh...

Here we have February's My Earthquake post, you may not be familiar to this segment of my little internet space then it's basically me attempting to make a difference here and make someone happy there and this is only my second post. If you'd like to read my January post which is about the Chesterfield Shoebox Appeal then you can clickedy-click here and away we go.

For February I'm not focusing on any individual or any group but it could be about you. Now this may seem a bit of a cop out but I decided that I'd like to do a post where I encourage people to help. Therefore, this post is dedicated to anyone who wants to make a difference in someway. Every bit of volunteering you do counts for something and I am recognising all of you. You don't have to do a lot but whatever you do, I personally thank you. I thank you on behalf of the people you've helped, the people who want to help and myself.

Equally, if you want to help, for whatever cause it may be, then there's ways for you to do it. It is so easy to access the internet nowadays and you just need to type in the areas that you're interested in helping in and you are bound to find some suggestions on where you can go and what you can do.

I feel like it is important to celebrate volunteers because they don't have to do all the things they do, they do these activities etc. because they want to make a difference somewhere. They manage to volunteer on top of all other activities in their life and successfully make a difference somewhere. I managed to do some volunteering at the beginning of February, some hands on volunteering where I went out and interacted with people, and I've never quite done anything like it and I was so happy to be helping people and I basically wanted to let other people know that I think you're doing a bloody good job. I know that probably means nothing to you as I'm more than likely someone who you've never met and actually have no clue as to why you're reading this, but anyway, thank you. 

Returning to my volunteering experience, I have been unsuccessful whenever I have attempted to reach out to help out at different places whether that is because emails have just been ignored or because the majority of days people want help is a Saturday and I work all day on Saturdays meaning there's no point even enquiring. I saw an advert around university that some other students were looking for volunteers to help take out food, blankets and toiletries to the homeless people of Sheffield I was there. Now, I'm not for one saying that it is vital you help the homeless, helping the homeless is very close to my heart which is why I am so passionate about my posts about it and helping in any way that I can but you can help other people and other organisations and be doing something just as worthwhile. I'm not going to go into too much detail as to the experience itself, I met many people and it was a very eye opening experience that I will definitely keep close to my heart for a very long time. It inspired me to try and do more to help where I'm passionate about. It was lovely to meet other people who also wanted to help and make a difference to vulnerable people. I was happy when we were done because although I know the situation that the people we spoke to and helped that night isn't ideal, it isn't nice to think of anyone having nowhere to go and hardly any possessions to their name, but we made their situation batter, even if it was just for a little bit. We made them smile and that made me very happy. I will definitely be looking to volunteer more in the future. 

I'm drawing this post to an end now but I would like to remind you that really if you want to help, you can. It doesn't have to be a crazy time commitment, it doesn't have to cost a lot of money and it doesn't have to be something extreme. A little bit goes a long way, and we could definitely all do our bit to help others.

Thank you for reading this month's My Earthquake post,
I will be looking for a group or person or whatever to write about for March's My Earthquake post but if you have any suggestions then please get in touch!

Until next week,
Lia x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &