Skip to main content

18 things to do at 18...a year on



HELLO EARTHBUGS,

TODAY IS A SHOUTY DAY BECAUSE IT IS MY BIRTHDAY. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO LIAAAAAA, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME. I shall stop shouting now, I promise, but today I thought I'd publish an extra post to see if I managed to ticked off the things on my 18 things to do at 18 list. I thoroughly recommend putting on a dance playlist, something incredibly cheesy, and having a mini dance party with some party poppers before continuing to read this post. 



1. Go to bingo - DONE!

After having this planned for a year and a half I can now tick this off. I loved bingo!

I have still only done this twice but I thoroughly enjoy it and I haven't won yet but one day my luck must change. DONE.

2. Buy my own alcohol - DONE!
I was probably the most enthusiastic person ever whilst getting my ID out to prove I'm 18...this is probably going to happen a lot as I look approximately 14.

I still get asked for ID all the time, in fact I almost got asked for ID to put the lottery on the other day. To put the lottery on you have to be 16...so yes, I can still vouch for looking 14. DONE.

3. Raise £100 for charity
Pretty self-explanatory.

Smashed this target whilst doing my "Walking all over cancer" in June, I titled this Walking for Mary and had to walk 10,000 steps everyday in June. I raised a grand total of £474, I was super proud of this and I'm definitely looking to raise more money for other charities etc in the future. DONE.

4. Finish my A-Levels
I'm not particularly aiming for A* grades but I would like to finish them just so I know that the grades I get are the grades I deserve because I like to think that I've tried pretty hard during sixth form. If I get into university, I get into university and if I don't then I simply rethink.

Picking my A-Level results up is still the weirdest thing I have ever done, I remember sitting at a bus stop in the rain happy crying because I got into my first choice university with a little old woman slightly confused as to what was going on. But I did it. A Levels were very stressful for me and I had many meltdowns over them because I simply couldn't get my head around any of them so I had came to accept the fact that if I didn't get into university, I thoroughly didn't expect to, then I had done my best and no one could expect anymore of me. DONE.



5. Watch a sun rise 
I love watching sunsets so much but I definitely want to watch more sun rises this year.

This happened accidentally as my Mum dropped me off for work the other week, but we got to watch a very lovely sunrise on a Saturday morning and I do still endeavour to get up early to see as many sunrises as I can but hey, DONE.




6. Get at least one tattoo
I've grown up with my dad getting several tattoos and over the years I have definitely decided that I'd like to get a few.

I currently have two tattoos. One of them is on the back of my left arm above my elbow and is a Manchester bee, called Bertie, which I got to raise money, as part of an open day, for the victim's families of the awful Manchester terrorist attacks in May last year. I also have a man wishing for the world with the words "the world is yours" in a script on my right forearm, it is very colourful and I love it. I have more planned, DONE.

7. Build my confidence in swimming
I used to be pretty confident with swimming when I was younger but over the years I have lost it so I think that now I'm an adult

In short, give me goggles and a nose peg and I can swim like a little fish. Take them off me? I may drown. So I think I can confirm, DONE.

8. Take up a new hobby 
Instead of watching Netflix all summer I feel like it would be pretty cool to do some sort of new hobby.

I'm in the process of knitting some form of blanket and I could never knit well, I also have other craft things that I can start so I like to think that I've fallen in love with craft stuff and can class that as a hobby, DONE.

9. Do the Sheffield TenTenTen and actually run it 
This is a difference to doing about 100 metres and walking in a huffy mess which obviously means that I will have to do some form of exercise other than walking from my bedroom to the kitchen.

I missed the sign up for this as I am a complete idiot, but I convinced Jack (aka: he had no choice as I signed him up) to do a fun run with me where we dressed as the 118 guys which was fun, but cold, very cold, and my wig kept falling off and I lost my moustache. But we did run most of it so I'm saying DONE.




10. Start to learn a new language
I feel like this would probably be a cool skill to have.

I have started to look at different tutorials on YouTube for learning BSL so I guess it is a kind of tick.

11. Go on a random road trip 
With no particular destination with loud music and good company. I feel like this would be a pretty decent thing to do at 18.

I did this accidentally without realising it was going to be a road trip, it wasn't very far and to be honest we ended up in Sainsbury's car park eating crisps and donuts but it was lovely and the company was wonderful. I hope for more drives like this. 

DONE.

12. Go to a drive in cinema
I can pretend I'm in Grease.

I loved this experience and will definitely look at doing more of them, although I recommend taking a pillow as the car wasn't that comfy. Mumma G and myself went to watch Pretty Woman at a drive in cinema and it was great.
DONE.

13. Read Pride and Prejudice 
I feel like it is one of the many classics that I should add to my reading list.

I have started to read Pride and Prejudice, I haven't completed it yet as I am reading it from the big book of stories by Jane Austen so I haven't been able to take it on the bus with me etc. because it's huge so I am definitely dedicating a day of my time when I am less busy to simply read it all. I am enjoying it though!


14. Watch Mary Poppins
One of my Mum's favourite films and I have never seen it.

I managed to do this on the 1st March, nothing like leaving it to the last minute. I LOVED IT. How have I never seen this before? DONE.

15. Get fit
This may be similar to number 9 but I do think it is probably slightly concerning that I get out of breath walking up the street.

I have started to walk more and am making more of an effort to get active and stuff so I would say this is a completed mark as getting completely fit was always a long shot.


16. Place a bet
Because I can.

I have done this several times and won quite a few actually. 

DONE.

17. Go to a cocktail bar 
I bloody love a good cocktail.

I have not completed this. However, still love a good cocktail.


18. Try not stress over everything
Probably a big thing if I actually achieve this... 

Anyone reading this who knows me super well knows that this was always an incredibly optimistic goal, I did not reach it. I still stress about absolutely everything and at quite extreme levels but hey, I tried.


So now as I continue to enjoy my day of birth for the 19th time, I bid thee farewell and recommend a mad dance session at least once an hour for the remainder of the day. You're welcome. 


All my love,
Lia x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &