Skip to main content

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies! 

I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster. 

Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, technology nowadays eh? I finally made my way into the cinema and sat in those awfully low chairs, oh I feel like I'm sat on the floor, when someone wanted to get past to their seat, you know how it is the awkward shuffle and lean and "oh sorry!" and "thank you ha ha" and it's all quite forced and you're weirdly close to complete strangers as you hold onto your chair for dear life and it is possibly the longest few seconds of your life? No? Just me then. 

Finally the film started. 

Captain Marvel is a warrior from Kree, some extraterrestrial place with fancy suits that don't look the easiest to use the bathroom in, and she happens to find herself in the middle of a big battle, which looked rather tiring may I add, between her people on Kree and the Skrulls. If all of this wasn't enough to deal with, whilst on earth she experiences odd flashbacks and recurring memories of a different life of US Air Force pilot, Carol Danvers. Help comes in the form of Nick Fury as she tries to recover her past and controlling these very cool superpowers. 

Once Carol Danvers realises who she is then there's no stopping her and when that moment comes you're sat in your seat punching the air in front of you (not quite as dramatically as in The Breakfast Club but still) willing her on to go and kick ass. Mind my language. I'm not going to say too much and give away any of those spoilers(!), but she is good at kicking said ass.

The film is a superhero movie, if you love superheroes then you're probably going to love it and if you don't then you can still enjoy it for what it is. It's a visually pleasing film with lots of fancy effects and whatnots, I'm not going to be technical because I can't but it looked cool. I'm a big believer in female empowerment and I think this film is brilliant for that, I hope there's many little dears who walk out of the cinema and want to be as powerful and cool as Captain Marvel. I mean maybe not all the different planet stuff because that could be a bit unsafe, you never know in this day and age... I think we could all take a leaf out of Carol's book (I think we're on first name basis now I've dedicated a post to her) in the scene where we see her be knocked down multiple times and get back up, ready to go again. Ooh, I was also a big fan of the shade of green of the Skrulls, I'd like a hat that colour. 

Doris's Rating: 8 cups of tea out of 10.

Cast: Brie Larson as Captain Marvel, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Jude Law as Yon-Rogg, Lashana Lynch as Maria, Ben Mendelsohn as Talos, and there's a cat!

Good day dearies, Doris x







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &

Top Hats, Mamma Mia and Getting Lost?

Hey, hey, hey, As I look in my fancy 2016 planner it tells me that today's blog post should be a recipe post and I had full intentions of doing that. I even baked a fancy cake yesterday to make it all fab and official but let's just say that the cake did not want to co-operate. It had nothing to do with the fact that I may have put the oven on slightly too hot, nearly forgot to add the eggs and compromised some ingredients that I forgot to get on my trip to Tesco's...but other than that it went fine, the cake just didn't want to be nice and proceeded to burn until it resembled a big lump of charcoal. So, yes I can admit that I am nearly 17 years old and I cannot bake a cake. So I decided to do a reflection on when I went to London with my Mum last year, we had decided to go just to be tourists because I hadn't seen anything like Buckingham Palace apart from on the television which was kind of sad because I have lived in England all my life. Anyway, about a week