Skip to main content

Focus: What you can control

Hey Earthbugs,

The other day I was scrolling through Pinterest, this is a frequent occurrence in my life and happens quite frequently, and I came across a post that said "Things you can control" and it was a list of 26 things that you can control and I thought a lot about it. It's originally posted by Ruben Chavez from the Think Grow Prosper website which I will link to here, I haven't seen it before and I'm not really writing this post about the website itself. I decided to choose a few off the list and write my thoughts about them, I'll leave the picture at the bottom of this post to remind us all what we can control.

For me, this post is important because I feel that as a society we focus a lot on the aspects of our life that we can't control. We stress about them, we overthink them and give them far too much head space. I decided to look at this post and work on it, to work on myself to focus on the things that I do have power over, instead of the negativity surrounding the things I can't control. I hope you take something positive from the rest of this post, let's all focus on the good things for a change.



Okay so...

What books you read 

I think it is a shame because I don't ever seem to have conversations where many people read books, and I personally think it is a shame. I love to read and have grown up surrounded by people who also read. As I've said many times before on this blog, I am trying to read more and it's going well. You can learn so much from reading, honestly so much. There's books on anything! I think we can really continue learning anything through the simple activity of getting cosy and reading a book.

Who your friends are

This is so important. I always used to feel bad if a friendship started going sour, but after I left secondary school I realised that it did not matter and now I have cut off so many people I used to consider friends. This isn't something you should be sad about, there are so many reasons that a friendship could end, you could grow apart in a completely innocent way or there could a more serious reason for example they could be incredibly toxic. So, snip snip and cut them off. It's very therapeutic. I recommend it, but also whilst on the topic of controlling who your friends are you should also be grateful about the good friends you have. As this is a focus on the positive type thing, you should tell your friends that you appreciate them more. This could also fall under the how much you appreciate the things you have, as I like to view this as people and experiences.

Whether or not you try again after a set back 

I'm a big believer in if you want something then you have to try no matter how much you get knocked back. Sometimes you have to take a minute, sit back and reassess the situation no matter how tough things currently seem. 

How kind you are to others and yourself 

I love being kind and I love making people happy and cheering them up. This is definitely something we should remember, I know that when I'm sad I like to make other people smile and it makes me at least a little bit cheerier. Also, it's important not to beat yourself up over things, as I also read on Pinterest... you are your own home. You're kind of stuck there. 

P.S. I would love to give credit to the owner of this but I don't know who it is 😔 

Whether or not you judge other people 

We're all different and the world would be a very boring place if we were all the same. In a similar way that we can learn a lot from books, we can also learn a lot from other people. Just because someone likes something that you don't, it doesn't mean they're "weird". 

I am going to leave it at this as I could probably ramble about every single point on this list, but that probably wouldn't be very interesting. Instead, I recommend you take a few seconds to think about each point, or a few, on this list and look at things from a different perspective. 

Thank you for reading!

Until next week,
Lia x 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &