Skip to main content

My Marathon in May

Hey Earthbugs!

This time last year I was preparing for my "Walking for Mary" challenge in which I walked 10,000 steps a day everyday throughout June to raise money for Cancer Research. I did this to raise some money for a worthy charity, to get me out the house (I like staying at home) and be a bit active, but also in memory of my Nan.

I really enjoyed doing the walking and raising money for a good cause and feeling like I was helping a cause by doing something that was actually quite simple and I was thinking a couple of months ago that I'd like to do something for charity each year. A different charity every time so I can help a variety of different people but just doing something. I just can't imagine myself sitting around and not trying to help someone in some way. 

Whilst scrolling through some form of social media, I came across an advert for running a marathon over the month of May for British Heart Foundation and their life saving heart research. I've never really needed to know what the British Heart Foundation do, obviously I'm aware that it's research into the heart so I thought I'd use this opportunity to do a bit of research. 





[*] As the UK's number one heart charity they have funded a lot of important research over 50 years that has already made a huge difference to people's lives. But as more people survive heart attacks now and there is a higher rate of people living longer, it also means that more people are living with heart disease. The BHF have a new strategy which "fights for every heartbeat" to enable them to lead the fight against cardiovascular disease. Some of the amazing things the BHF have done as a result of the advances in science and donations include: most babies born with heart defects now survive, pacemakers help people control heart conditions, heart attack treatment has been revolutionised, many inherited conditions can now be diagnosed and treated preventing sudden death. They've bought pioneering techniques to hospitals, they've improved transplant technology, they've helped the development of statins to help control cholesterol and they've helped to develop medicines to help extend the lives of heart failure patients and the money that they raise for the Mending Broken Hearts Appeal will fund research that help us rebuild hearts.

This is only a small portion of the research that they have done and if you visit their website there is so much more information available that is a very interesting read, however I didn't want to just reword the entire thing. 

I'm currently a little over half way through my marathon in May and I am enjoying the challenge. I have been doing some jogging, listening to the Greatest Showman helps power through this, some very quick walking which makes me feel like a proper grown up who has her life together, I'm not too sure why but don't take it away, and the occasional sprint when I get a little too close to geese and they're terrifying little creatures so we must avoid them. 




I initially set my target at £75 but reached that before the month of May so raised it to £125 and I'm nearly there but it would be great to smash that as well, so if you're able to please consider sponsoring me. Even if all you can spare is a pound, it all goes to incredible research and I'd be incredibly grateful. The link is here! You could also help me on my marathon by sharing this around a bit and providing some words of encouragement for when my running shoes start to give me blisters. I'm just as surprised as you that I actually own running shoes but hey ho. 

I thought I'd leave you now with a picture of some little friends that I have found whilst clocking up some miles. 




Thank you for reading,
If you've donated or shared, thank you so much! You're incredible. 

Until next week,
Lia x 

[*] - https://www.bhf.org.uk/research 
This is the link to the British Heart Foundation website where I got all my information from above. Please go and have a click around and do some reading, they do amazing work.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &