Skip to main content

Markovitz Sparkle Night Walk 2018

Hey Earthbugs!

Last night I took part in a charity walk for Ashgate Hospice, a local hospice that provides excellent care to people when they most need it. It's been running a few years now and I have only ever marshalled it before back when I was a cadet, however this year I walked as part of a team with wonderful people. It's called the Sparkle Night Walk and kicks off at 10pm and you basically follow a 10k route and it's a big sea of pink, flashing lights and glitter - not forgetting the feathers that fell out the bunny ears. 

I know of a few experiences with Ashgate Hospice from recently to back when I lost my Nan in 2015 and they have been outstanding on all occasions. I will never forget how helpful they were to my grandparents when my Nan was in her final days and made it easy for my Nan to remain with them. I imagine their jobs can be very challenging a lot of the time but they always deliver the best service. There doesn't seem to be many people who I've spoken to who haven't heard of some sort of link to Ashgate Hospice and that for me shows that they are valued within our town. So a night where many, many, many people can all join together to raise as much money as possible and have a great night making memories seems like a fabulous idea. 





There were many parts of the walk where I think we were all flagging a bit, but we kept each other going, not just the people we were walking with but the other walkers, the volunteers marshalling, the volunteers who made up songs when giving out water, bananas and chocolate, the supporters who lined the streets ready to cheer us on and waited right until we all went past to go back, the kids joining the side of the streets ready to provide high fives and motivational grins. In a modern day society where people often keep their head down and look questioningly if you smile at them, there was an entire community out last night all supporting each other and all helping to do something cracking for an amazing charity. Speaking of cracking, I think I broke my record for how many times I felt the need to crack my knees in a set time period. 



I get moved quite easily, honestly I can see a dog walking down the street and be crying, and although there were a few dogs there I didn't cry at them. But what did move me was the fact that, there were maybe thousands of walkers last night and we all had at least one reason to be walking in aid of Ashgate Hospice. I think Chesterfield did pretty well for itself yesterday, well done to everyone who took part. 

This was an event where people pushed themselves to complete something they wouldn't ordinarily do and possibly struggle to do, all in aid of a good cause and surrounded by lots of support. I am glad I was able to be a part of this and would definitely do it again.

Until next time,
Lia x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,