Skip to main content

To Hull and Back (The Deep Review)

Hey Earthbugs,

A few days ago I went to Hull and back, we did only visit the Deep but I did want to use that reference in a blog post about Hull. If you don't recognise the reference then it is the title of an Only Fools and Horses episode, and very funny it is too. I thought I'd do a little review on the Deep because I absolutely loved it and had a really good time, the journey was only about an hour as well so it was a win win really. 

I purchased tickets online before we went to get a little bit of a discount, gotta save money where you can, so when we arrived we joined the main queue to the entrance and soon enough we were looking around the exhibition. We also had the slight advantage of queue jumping a little bit on the way into the exhibition because there were several people queuing for the lift with pushchairs etc so we hopped up the stairs. Which I regretted by the time we were at the top and I felt like collapsing on the floor. ANYWAY... 

As soon as you walk in there's a ramp that you walk down and all along it is information about the oceans at different periods of time, it's really interesting and there's a lot of interactive points for children as well. We then walked through to the Lagoon of Light and it just sounds like a magical place anyway, but let me tell you I was bloody fascinated here. I could've sat and watched all the fish just swim around all day. They were so colourful and I love anything colourful so I truly feel that by the end of the day I could have had some fish friends. There's also a Visitor Guide that you receive on arrival and it's packed with information, featuring a 2 page spread on the Lagoon of Light. 



We walked through a bit more and got to one of the 2 parts I had been so incredibly excited for, as in a little kid being let loose in a sweet shop squealing with excitement kind of way, the TURTLES. Every time we saw a display with turtles in there, I had to stop for a least 5 minutes. I just love them, they're adorable and chill and all "hey dude". I'm going to move onto the penguins now, I SAW PENGUINS. They just kept waddling up, flapping around a bit and then flopping back into the water. They seemed to be having a grand old time and I was obsessed with seeing their little bellies as they swam along in the water. Penguins are just so cool. Fascinated. 



There was also this section a bit further along that had lots of different tanks with creatures in that are endangered etc. and are found in different rivers in the world. It was pretty cool how you could go from river to river and find out different bits of information about them, This was also around a soft play area which was quite handy as it provided a place for kids to burn some energy. I would also like to point out that for once in my life I was too tall to do something, never happened before and is more than likely never going to happen again. 



I was really impressed with a display there was in the Deep which showed the reality of our modern day society, as it was full of different bits of plastic and rubbish and several other items that just shouldn't be in our oceans. Whilst looking at this display I heard a child next to me say "That shouldn't be there! The turtles...", which in a way fills me with hope that the new generation will help us to cut down on plastic waste. They also had Water in a Box in their gift shop, instead of a bottle it was a carton and it tasted just as fresh and it had an expiry date of 03/03/2019 which is my birthday so I loved it even more. They had paper bags for your shopping instead of plastic bags. They had canvas bags for sale (I obviously bought one as I do love a good canvas bag). They had bamboo cutlery. It was really quite refreshing to see so much focus on cutting down plastic use and it made me happy. 



The Deep is an amazing place to visit for children and adults alike, it's full of interactive stations and plaques you can read so you can find out about everything there. You really can spend hours there and the brilliant thing is when you've bought your tickets you can go again free for a whole year. I definitely recommend going there and learning something new whilst being surrounded by lots of fishes. 



Until next week, 
Lia x 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &