Skip to main content

You are your own home

Hey Earthbugs,

The title may seem a bit odd and not really stuff that I'd usually touch on but I saw this image on Pinterest with the quotation "you are your own home". Before I get started with this post I would like to point out that the picture I am going to include is not my own and I'm unfortunately unsure who to give credit to, I just loved it and had many thoughts about it. So, pop that kettle on and let's get started with the deep stuff. 



Home. What is home?  Google describes home as being "the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household". I think I disagree, when I moved into the house I currently live in with my parents I was very close to turning 8 years old and for a very long time it didn't feel like home. I wasn't sure why, I didn't hate it at the new house or anything like that but for some reason, home was the old house. I'd spent most of my life there, made lots of memories there, felt safe there and I don't know when it was but one day it just clicked that home is where I am now. My teenage years, like many other's, have been full of ups and downs and home is where I've escaped every single down and celebrated every single up, with my Mum there to provide a cup of tea, my Dad to provide a crap joke and Pippa to just provide bounces and tail wags and cuddles. Home is where I can sit inside all cosy and watch the rain beat down outside, home is where my family makes funny memories and I tell stories that I can't even finish for laughing too much. Home is my family and my safe place, where the outside world can't bring me down. 

Now home is one of my favourite words, as it's a safety net and it's seen all of your good times and all of the times when you've been angry or sad and it just welcomes you with open arms. But as I get older, there's more and more things I want to do and more and more things I want to see and I'm not always going to be able to run back to my childhood home when things get a bit rocky, which I guess is where this quote comes in. We're stuck with ourselves basically, we are the only people who are going to be with us every minute of every day. 

Yet we're so quick to focus on what other people are saying, I for one do this an awful lot, I focus on the negative things people say about me and hold a grudge. I see people in places locally who have been horrible to me years ago and I won't even smile at them (I like to think that that's a big thing for me because I like smiling at everyone) and they probably don't even remember what they said. I give their comments head space and refuse to believe any compliment I receive because I almost feel as if a compliment is something too nice for me to get. But why? The only person who is losing by doing this is myself, because their comments circle in my head, when instead I should be letting all the good things loop around. In the past couple of years I have definitely improved a lot with how I view myself, I don't focus as much on the negative as I don't really care what people think about me. If they like me then brilliant, let's be friends but if they don't like me, why should I care? It isn't like they'd be a good friend if they don't like me, so I'm not exactly missing out on anything. 

Also, I think these are important words to focus on in the big grand scheme of self care. Self care is so important in so many aspects, we need to look after ourselves in order for us to grow and yeah, other people can help us to nourish our personal development but we need to personally take the lead otherwise we won't really get anywhere. So home. I like to consider my mind a place full of flowers and positive thoughts, I'd like to grow it to be a little bit more me against the world in tough times instead of viewing it as the world against me. 

I'm not really sure if any of that made any sort of sense, but have some evening thoughts from my little brain. 
Until next time,
Lia x 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &