Skip to main content

Tramlines Elephants

Hello Earthlings,

Whilst on an open day to Sheffield Hallam University I entered to win tickets to a secret gig as part of Tramlines, a couple of weeks later I was e-mailed to say Congratulations I had won two tickets I just needed to e-mail back to confirm my attendance. So the day came and Jack and I hopped onto the X17 to Sheffield ready to pick up our tickets from the Hallam Student's Union. We did all the adult-y stuff of getting tickets etc. and then wandered down to the train station and there was an old man there playing the piano and he was so good and it really made my day. I absolutely love hearing people play the pianos that are available in train stations, I first heard it in London St Pancras and I could have stayed there all day and listened to the various people playing different things. I just think it is such a positive idea. Anyway, back to the secret gig, it was a grime gig and although the acts were all very talented and energetic the genre itself isn't really my cup of tea. I am very thankful for my first experience at Tramlines and next year I am aiming to do the full weekend because it created such a good atmosphere around the city itself.

Recently I have also seen a few of the elephants that have popped up around Sheffield, which happens to be the biggest public art exhibition that the city has seen. There's a total of 58 elephants that you can go and look at and they all have a different design with a plaque at the bottom telling you a bit about them. On this plaque there is also a code and you can scan this code on the Herd of Sheffield app so you can monitor which ones you have seen and which ones you have left to do, if you don't want the app you can pick up a copy of an actual map from many places in the city. In addition to the 58 large elephants which are outside there are 72 calf elephants inside which have been designed by local school children and teachers. The app gives you a chance to donate money when you find an elephant and after the exhibition each elephant will be auctioned off. By donating money to the Herd of Sheffield you are "investing in the future of Sheffield Children's Hospital" as every penny that is raised goes towards the Artfelt programme which "transforms the hospital's walls and spaces with bright art, helping children recover in an environment tailored to them. The programme also puts on workshops for youngsters to provide distarcyion during anxious moments - such as before an operation, and to breakup long stays on the wards". I truly think this is such a lovely initiative and it is a great way to get the kids out of the house for the day.
I shall leave you with a few pictures of the elephants - my aim is to see them all so I can tick them all off on the app! 




Until next week,
Lia x  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &