Skip to main content

What's all the buzz?

Hello Earthlings,

I woke up on Tuesday morning last week and my heart sank, I will never understand the thought process that someone goes through to be able to commit such an awful offence. I had hope that everyone who was declared missing would turn up and be okay with some minor injuries at a push, I checked the news at every point I could in the hope that all this news would go away and someone somewhere would have got it horribly wrong. But then they started to name those who had sadly lost their lives and it became even more real, this wasn't some horrible mistake this was very much real and has affected so many people.

I had plans to go to Manchester this Saturday, the first Saturday after the horrible devastation, like many others to go and see The Courteeners at their homecoming gig at Old Trafford Cricket Ground to 50,000 being supported by The Charlatans, Blossoms and Cabbage. I had seen many people tweet that they weren't going to go and I understood the apprehension but I was mad because there were people who had just lost their lives in this attack, there were families missing a loved one, people had been to a gig to have a good time and been separated from the people they were with not knowing whether they were dead or alive. So yes, I understood the nerves and I have to say I did think it too but I wasn't going to let someone instil fear into me and convince me not to go to something I have been looking forward to for months.

Personally, I feel like I made the best choice. Being stood in solidarity with 50,000 others against terrorism, that felt special. The Courteeners' front man Liam Fray did an acoustic cover of the Oasis anthem 'Don't Look Back in Anger', belting out the lyrics with so many people who all had so much passion was something I will never forget. I have seen so many videos on social media of this tribute and I can safely say that I have got goosebumps everytime I watched it. For me, not being able to find the right words is something I rarely struggle with as I can quite easily talk the hind legs off a donkey but I can't quite find the words to describe how special the entire day was. From Liam Fray reading And the Bees Still Buzz (a poem by Ryan Williams) to Don't Look Back in Anger to a tram full of people on the way singing the national anthem, this day was something that definitely proved to me that hate will never tear us apart.

Which leads me on to the title, I'm sure many of you will have seen bees being posted around various social media sites in tribute and solidarity and I wanted to do a bit of research as to why it is bees. You see, the worker bee is one of the most well-known symbols of Manchester, it was adopted as a motif during the Industrial Revolution and was used to represent the hard work of Mancunians during this era and how Manchester was a hive of activity. I've also seen many tattoo artists doing the Manchester bee in order to raise money for the victims and their families. So naturally when I saw a local tattoo shop doing a walk in day for the cause I had to go along considering I'm 18, I've also wanted a tattoo and I genuinely feel like I've learnt the true meaning of solidarity recently I thought I'd go along and get one. For anyone nearby who is reading this and thinking of getting a tattoo I would definitely recommend Aquiline TattooShops , I personally didn't think it hurt as much as I was expecting it too but they were very good at calming nerves! This tattoo is special to me because of the reasons listed above but also because my Dad got the same one done, so we now have matching tattoos and I'd say that my Dad has probably been the biggest influence in my life for tattoos as he has always had several as I've grown up so I'm a happy human.

Lia x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &