Skip to main content

Neighbourhood Weekender 2018

Hey Earthbugs!

I'd like to say that I'm sat here with a cup of tea as I sit and type this out however I'm too lazy to go downstairs and make one, so I'm unfortunately tea-less which is a pretty sad state of affairs. Last weekend I attended the first ever Neighbourhood Weekender and had a bloody good time so I thought I'd do a little review on the blog.

Staying in a local Holiday Inn it was a short taxi ride to Victoria Park so getting there was no problem. We had a bit of a plan as to where we were going to head at different points during the day, but when we first arrived we just hung around the Viola Beach stage (a band from Warrington who lost their lives far too young with so much talent, there were a lot of fitting tributes to them throughout the weekend) and watched Wild Front who I enjoyed! From this our afternoon was full of Lewis Capaldi, Reverend and the Makers, The Magic Gang and Cabbage. I enjoyed Lewis Capaldi and Reverent and the Makers but Cabbage isn't really my cup of tea (the boyfriend loves them), although I do think they are clever with what they do with their lyrics. The ones who really stood out for me were The Magic Gang, I had never listened to them before in fact I think they may have been retweeted onto my timeline at some point and that's all I really heard of them but oh my goodness. I shall listen again...and again...and again. They were amazing and definitely one of the highlights of the weekend for me.

We then found a position in front of the main stage to prepare for Circa Waves, Jake Bugg and headliners The Courteeners. Circa Waves are so easy to listen to, so having a bit of a bop in the sunshine was easy, I'll always love Jake Bugg and am so happy that I got to see him again live. He's incredible. Then we have The Courteeners, the band that doesn't ever let you down and manage to put on an amazing set time after time. The crowd belted every word out and all in all went pretty mad, even though I got a lot of smoke in my eye, oh and wee which is always a delight, which made my conjunctivitis look even better, there was nowhere else I'd have rather been right there.

Before I continue with the music element of things I'd like to pick out a couple of things that could be improved. Transport. As we left on Saturday night we knew there would be a wait for a taxi as we didn't have the sense to book ahead so we found a place to perch and started to ring around for a taxi. However, none of them were helpful and just kept quoting "We don't cover the Warrington area" which would have been easy to believe if it wasn't for the fact that about 3 taxis went past with their companies on the side. In the end we gave up and embarked on the 4.9 mile walk back to the hotel. I also believe that there was a lot of issues with the trains and lack of replacement bus services which probably isn't the most ideal of situations. I imagine it took a lot of people quite a long time to get back to where they were staying, all in all it made for a stressful end to the day.

I was definitely impressed with the variety of food stores available, even if they were a tad on the pricey side, the ones I bought from were very nice and I'd definitely recommend the Waffles and Coffee van. I bought a waffle with strawberries and white chocolate on it and I'd definitely like another one...right about now.

Okay so Sunday! The first act we saw were the Northern Soul Orchestra and they were brilliant, they had everyone dancing along and it was just the kind of music that made you feel happy and when you're already sat in the sunshine it definitely started the day right. We then stayed at the main stage to watch Black Honey, Tom Grennan, DMA's, The Sherlocks, The Coral, Blossoms and then finished watching the headlining act Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds. I have seen The Sherlocks quite a few times but they do seem to get better and better live. The Coral played my favourite song of theirs, Jacqueline, so I was a happy human and Blossoms, well Blossoms, they're so feel good it just makes me incredibly happy. But I was let down. I was let down by Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds and I'm probably one of the only people there who thought this but I felt like it was a bit boring. I actually felt bad saying that because although I've never been a fan of Noel I expected him to be amazing, you know given that he's a Gallagher and by the time it had finished I'd have been able to say "I've just seen Noel Gallagher", but saying that now doesn't really sound "wow" like I'd hoped it would. The high parts of his set for me was the atmosphere of the crowd when he sang Oasis songs and everyone could sing along.

On the whole, I bloody loved Neighbourhood Weekender and will definitely be looking to go again next year!

All my love,
Lia x

I did not take this picture however it is bloody good, I found it on the Neighbourhood Weekender Facebook album!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Doris goes to see Captain Marvel | FILM REVIEW

Hello dearies!  I hear the new film that's 'hot on the block' recently is this Captain Marvel one, and little old Doris does like to be hip, trendy and down with the kids *throws the equivalent of a swagger sign* so decided to hop on the bandwagon and go along, booking myself in for the 12.00 (pm just to clarify) showing at the local cinema. I'm currently cutting down on the whole chocolate/cake/biscuits scene, so sneaked a small tub of Pringles into the cinema with me...I have to say, I felt like a bit of a rebel eating food that I'd bought from somewhere else whilst inside the cinema, it was an adrenaline rush! If you're wondering what flavour Pringles they were, I obviously chose the best ones aka sour cream and onion as I'm not some sort of monster.  Anyway, I did buy one of those Tango Ice thingymabobs as I hear that's too what the cool kids like to have at the cinema. I could only have cherry though as the machine wasn't working properly, t

End of Summer Catch Up

Hello Earthlings, One I know this post is late and last weeks was early but from this Sunday it will be back to normal and two please don't be upset with the title of this blog as I hate to tell all of you summer lovers but summer is nearing the end...well for 2016 anyway but saying summer 2017 seems a little bit too far away right now. I thought that I would take some time now to have a catch up, through the screens of our technical devices, before the new season is upon us. I have to say, I personally love the changing of the seasons, for any season not just for the end of the summer to the beginning of autumn but for all of them. I don't really have a favourite season because I love the perks of all of them; autumn means the leaves change colours and Halloween and Bonfire Night, winter means cold weather, cosiness, Christmas and New Year, spring means lighter nights, Easter and new life and summer means hot weather, relaxing and of course a lot of time off (well for now,

Twenty

Hello Earthlings! As I sit and type this I'm tucked up cosy in bed and listening to the wind batter everything in sight, and it doesn't matter that today I turned 20 because the wind still scares me so I'm still going to tuck up as tight as I can and try my best to ignore it after I've typed this. But, anyway! Hi. Birthdays are a funny thing, you know they're going to happen and you know that you get older but they're a bit odd. When I was little, I looked forward to being a teenager which in itself is completely barmy (maybe I'm the only one intimidated by groups of teenagers...), and I always thought "13 is such a grown up age!!!" because 6 year old me was clearly clueless. I remember a particular time where I stood looking out of my bedroom window, in the house I lived in as a young child, wistfully into the distance (you know like they do on films where it gets to a real deep moment?) and couldn't wait for 13 to arrive so I could be a &